Project GRAD Scholarship Funds from the GEAR UP Scholarship Trust
Are you a Project GRAD Scholar from the 2006 through 2012 Reagan or Sam Houston High School graduating classes? Keep reading! You may be eligible for additional scholarship dollars.
Student Eligibility: Project GRAD Scholars from the 2006 to 2012 Reagan and Sam Houston High School graduating classes who activated their GRAD scholarship by attending at least one semester of college are eligible for additional scholarship funds.
Total Scholarship Award: Each eligible student may be awarded up to a total of $6,865 (the original $4,000 GRAD scholarship plus an extra $2,865).
Allowable Use of Funds: Scholarship funds may be used as:
- Scholarship payments to college or university, as authorized by GRAD policy, to fill any unmet need before loans, or
- Payments to reduce student loans borrowed in prior semesters.
Eligible students may use scholarship awards toward any post-secondary credential: workforce certificate, undergraduate degree, or graduate degree. Students who are not currently enrolled in a college or university may use scholarship funds to return to school, whether to finish their first degree or to pursue an additional credential. Funds may also be used to pay off student loans.
Steps to access additional scholarship funds:
- Students should check their eligibility for additional Scholarship funds by contacting Project GRAD at GUTrust@projectgradhouston.org or at (832)325.0451. Whether you are currently enrolled in college, graduated, or interested in returning to college, Project GRAD staff will provide counseling on your educational and financial options.
- To process scholarship payments, Project GRAD will need (a) your financial aid award letter and (b) class schedule. If you need assistance accessing these documents, contact Project GRAD at GUTrust@projectgradhouston.org or at (832)325.0451. Project GRAD will begin making increased scholarship payments in August 2014.
- To make loan payments, Project GRAD will need your federal student loan record and/or private student loan record. Project GRAD will begin making loan payments in the Fall of 2014.
Background Information on the additional scholarship funds
The US Department of Education’s GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) Program has changed lives of students in Houston’s communities by providing resources targeting college readiness, college access, and college success. Three successive GEAR UP Grants have enabled Project GRAD Houston, Houston ISD, and higher education partners to support thousands of students.
The GEAR UP Scholarship Trust was established in 2006 to fund Project GRAD scholarships for qualifying Project GRAD Scholars from the 2006 to 2012 graduating classes of Reagan and Sam Houston High Schools. In 2014, the Department of Education approved Project GRAD Houston’s plan to distribute the additional scholarship funds for eligible students.