Lead GRAD Advisor for GRADcafé on the Go!
TITLE: GRAD Advisor Team Leader DEPT: GRADcafé on the Go
REPORTS TO: Director of Programming and Innovation
Project GRAD’s mission is to improve lives in low-income communities by helping students develop and achieve their educational aspirations. The GRAD Advisor Team Leader is an essential member of the GRADcafé on the Go team who advises individuals and families through GRADcafé on the Go, administers the Aspiring Young Adults and GRAD Scholars Programs, and leads the GRADcafé on the Go team.
- Offer best-in-class college and career-readiness advising and programs to Harris County individuals and families through GRADcafé on the Go, including drop-in counseling, workshops, the Aspiring Young Adults (AYA) program, and GRAD Scholar program.
- Empower Harris County students and AYA and their families, providing them the knowledge, experiences, and support they need to develop and achieve their educational and career aspirations.
- Inform individuals and families about services available through the various GRADcafé locations. Raise the rates of visits at GRADcafés and enrollment in, persistence through, and graduation from college and certificate programs for AYA and GRAD Scholars, with an emphasis on credentials leading to employment in high-demand, high-growth careers.
- Work in collaboration with Harris County Public Library, Houston Community College and other strategic partners to ensure the success of joint programs and foster a positive, productive partnership.
- Lead all GRADcafé on the Go programs, ensuring program goals, grant objectives, and contractual obligations are achieved.
- Oversee scheduling and facilitation logistics of GRADcafé on the Go events with GRAD staff and partner organizations.
- Coordinate, support, and evaluate the work of the GRADcafé on the Go team. Instill a sense of accountability among team members and ensure all team members set goals and hold themselves to high standards, building and upholding the reputation of GRAD across the greater Houston region.
- Remain current on policy and resources relevant to GRADcafé on the Go. Develop and administer a professional development program for GRADcafé on the Go staff to ensure continual improvement in programs and advising.
- Travel alongside the GRADcafé on the Go van to provide high-quality college and career advising to Houston’s students and families. Refer students as appropriate for additional services.
- Offer high-quality college and career-readiness programs, including the AYA Program, GRAD Scholar Program, introductory presentations, and workshops, to students and families at base of operation and locations throughout Harris County. Manage partner relationships and ensure program goals and contractual obligations are met.
- Case manage students and AYA as assigned. Provide individual guidance to assigned students and AYA and support their utilization of quality programs and resources provided by GRAD and other organizations.
- Document work on sign-in sheets and in database accurately and promptly, including: recruitment, enrollment, and participation in GRAD programs, counseling notes, progress through milestones, development and achievement of educational aspirations, and college enrollment and graduation.
- Utilize data and reporting to inform planning, ensuring resources of time and effort are effectively mobilized to achieve student and family outcomes.
- Build relationships with hosting site partners and visitors to GRADcafé on the Go, noting opportunities for new partnerships and connecting potential partners with the Director of Programming and Innovation as appropriate.
- Report regularly to the Director of Programming and Innovation regarding assigned programs and projects.
- Other duties as assigned to support the success of GRAD programs.
PRIMARY CONTACTS & PURPOSE
- Report to Director of Programming and Innovation.
- Lead the GRADcafé on the Go team, including GRAD Advisors and work-study students.
- Collaborate with the Director of Data and Analytics to support accurate, timely reporting.
Experience supporting young adults to achieve college and career readiness and success.
Experience managing relationships and joint projects between organizations to achieve shared goals.
A minimum of three years of relevant work experience required.
A minimum of one year motivating and leading others to achieve organizational goals.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
Bachelor’s Degree required.
Mission-driven, with a passion for empowering learners of all ages and their families.
Ability to communicate with and relate to students with diverse backgrounds including first generation college students, undocumented students, and adult learners.
Integrity and good judgment.
Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Excellent organizational skills.
Flexibility and the ability to adapt to change.
Self-motivated. Takes initiative and ownership of work and results. Strong customer service ethic.
Strong time management. Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
Excellent management skills and the ability to create a high-performing and engaged team.
Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Salesforce.
Valid Texas Driver’s License, proof of liability insurance, ability to travel regularly to presentation locations.
Ability to regularly work evening and weekend hours as programming demands.
Proficiency in Spanish strongly preferred.