REPORTS TO: GRAD Advisor, Team Lead/Director of GRAD Advising
Project GRAD’s mission is to improve lives in low-income communities by helping students develop and achieve their educational aspirations. The GRAD Advisor is an essential member of the GRAD team who advises individuals and families through GRADcafé and who administers the GRAD Scholar Program and the Aspiring Young Adults Program.
- Offer best-in-class college and career-readiness advising and programs to individuals and families through GRADcafé, including virtual and drop-in advising, workshops, the GRAD Scholar Program, and the Aspiring Young Adults (AYA) program.
- Empower youth, young adults, and families from Harris County and the surrounding areas, providing them the knowledge, experiences, and support they need to develop and achieve their educational aspirations.
- Raise the rates of enrollment in, persistence through, and graduation from college and certificate programs for GRAD Scholars and AYA, with an emphasis on credentials leading to employment in high-demand, high-growth careers.
- Provide high-quality college and career advising and programming to Harris County youth, young adults, and families through GRADcafé including the GRAD Scholar Program, AYA Program, introductory presentations and workshops.
- Refer clients as appropriate for additional services. Research college, career, and financial aid opportunities in order to best inform clients.
- Case manage GRAD Scholars and AYA as assigned. Provide individual guidance to assigned Scholars and AYA and support their utilization of quality programs and resources provided by GRAD and other organizations.
- Document work on sign-in sheets and in database accurately and promptly, including: recruitment, enrollment, and participation in GRAD programs, counseling notes, progress through milestones, development and achievement of educational aspirations, and college enrollment and graduation.
- Utilize data and reporting to inform planning, ensuring resources of time and effort are effectively mobilized to achieve client outcomes.
- Build relationships with visitors to GRADcafé, noting opportunities for new partnerships and connecting potential partners with the Director of GRAD Advising or Director of Programming & Innovation as appropriate.
- Report regularly to the GRAD Advisor, Team Lead and Director of GRAD Advising regarding assigned programs and projects.
- Other duties as assigned to support the success of GRAD programs.
PRIMARY CONTACTS & PURPOSE
- Report to GRAD Advisor, Team Lead and Director of GRAD Advising.
- Collaborate with the Manager of Data & Analytics to support accurate, timely reporting.
- Experience supporting young adults to achieve college and career readiness and success.
- Experience managing relationships and joint projects between organizations.
- One year of relevant work experience required.
- Familiarity with GRAD neighborhoods or similar communities preferred.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Mission-driven, with a passion for empowering youth, young adults, and their families.
- Ability to communicate with and relate to students with diverse backgrounds including first generation college students, undocumented students, and adult learners.
Integrity and good judgment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to change.
- Self-motivated. Takes initiative and ownership of work and results. Strong customer service ethic.
- Strong time management. Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent management skills and the ability to create a high-performing and engaged team.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Salesforce.
- Valid Texas Driver’s License, proof of liability insurance, ability to travel to meeting locations as needed.
- Ability to regularly work an adjusted schedule including evening and weekend hours as programming demands.
- Proficiency in Spanish strongly preferred.